Looking for layered hairstyles for inspiration? Get hundreds of ideas for layers here… all hair colors and hair types shown.
Pay attention to the haircuts you see today. What looks stick out to you?
What looks to you see a lot? One of the most popular women’s hairstyles available in many variations and limitless looks is layers. From long to short styles, layers give the illusion of length and volume for hair.
Shorter strands on top of the head and longer locks underneath give the illusion of seamless blending.
Introducing our 2018 photo gallery of layered hairstyles for women.
Dark and wavy hair with flattering layers and blunt bangs. The waves create a subtle volume, the layers provide a soft yet powerful texture while the blunt bangs effectively frame the face.
Long and tousled hair with subtle layers incorporated with thick, side-swept bangs. This hairstyle is stylish enough for casual days.
A voluminous, 60's inspired hairstyle with side bangs. This hairstyle is achieved by perfectly teasing the black and wavy layers to create dimension.
Shantel vanSanten indeed is glowing with her loose and lustrous hairstyle worn at the Gatorade G Series Fit Launch Event last April 12, 2011.
A layered bob full of volume and style. The side-swept bangs and the strategically-placed balayage kept this hairstyle in full dimension.
Mushroom brown hair with chopped soft layers and some ash blonde balayage highlights. The subtle waves and layers give it more dimension and texture.
Thin, curly hair might sometimes look awkward and needs a but of styling. A layered style adds a little volume while making the hair look thicker. This hairstyle is also incorporated with some babylights for a dimensional finish.
Sophia Bush had her straight and subtle layers parted at the center for extra depth and dimension. This photo was taken at the premiere of 'Magic Mike' during the 2012 Los Angeles Film Festival.
Mariah Carey attended the 2015 Billboard Music Awards with her layers swayed to one direction. Her hairstyle is also incorporated with side-swept bangs for a trendier finish.
The singer had her hair styled with layers swept to only one side, leaving a decent and unique finish. This look was worn for the 2015 Billboard Music Awards.
The singer looked gorgeous even with this slightly messy hairstyle she wore at the 2010 Palm Springs International Film Festival.
The singer in a medium-length, golden blonde hair with swoopy layers. This simple hairstyle was worn last 2009 for the launch of her new fragrance called "Forever" at Macy's Herald Square Department Store, New York, NY.
How is The Look Achieved?
Put simply, the effect occurs by taking sections vertically across the head, pulling them away from the head, and cutting straight across. Hair is lifted away from the head at angles that are different from the natural growth pattern. Layered looks can be an all-over look throughout the crown of the head, along with the top of the head, or just over and around the forehead with bangs or fringe.
What Style Matches My Face?
Since there are so many different hair types, lengths, colors, and styles that make use of layers, consider going into your hairdresser for advice. You can even bring a few photos of the look you prefer. A professional will match your preferred look with your hair’s texture and length. As a general rule:
- Oval: Choose longer and face-framing strands. A longer hair length tends to show off the shape of the face and build a more chiseled look.
- Square: Opt for easy layers that aren’t too defined or else you end up with a square face which looks even more square.
- Round: If your face doesn’t have much natural contouring, create it with every layering effect. Round faces look good with short, chopping locks or even long, single length layers.
- Heart-Shaped: Instead of having hair hug the face, have it naturally fall away from the face to enhance the appearance of the face’s natural shape. Any hair length looks good with a heart-shaped face.
Benefits of Layers
Thinking about adding this look to your current style? For many women, this cut and style provide the following advantages:
- Providing additional volume to the hair
- Giving the illusion of length
- Accentuating the shape and appearance of your face
- For rounder faces, layering gives the face a longer look
- Getting a new look without adding chemicals or colors
- Requiring less maintenance and time between cuts than other hair styles
- Allowing you to get a dramatic shape for a unique style
- Adding dimension to hair with natural waves
Hair Texture for Layers
As for textures, wavy and straight hair respond best to layering when cut to enhance the overall shape of the hair. Curly hair needs to be cut properly or else the hair may look too top heavy. All hair colors look good with this style! From sharp, blunt styles to feathery, light strands, you are sure to love your layered look.