Is putting your hair up a standard or go-to style you like to put in place? Just because you’ve been implementing this look for years, doesn’t mean you cannot improve upon your go-to.
Welcome to our ponytail hairstyles for women gallery.
Ponytails are hands down the most versatile of all hairstyles. They save you on bad hair days, are easy to sport plus they are highly functional for all working women because a ponytail keeps those strands tucked away but still makes you look super trendy.
Whether you are tired of sporting the same hairstyle every day to work or are looking for some ideas to turn your hairstyling regime up a notch, check out our gallery featuring lots of ponytail hairstyles for women.
Gain inspiration from these famous celebrities who know how to give this timeless hairstyle a touch of contemporary bravura.
Think of celebrities wearing a ponytail and Ariana Grande is likely to be the first one to pop up in your head. Her signature ponytail hairstyle comprises of extra-long and extra straight hair secured firmly at the top. This style might not be for everyone but it’s definitely worth considering if you are looking for a style that is truly jaw-dropping.
Taylor Swift is hailed as the queen of bangs and short hairstyles but even she can’t resist turning to ponytails as soon as her hair grows out.It’s a simple ponytail hairstyle but it’s still oozing beauty and sophistication.
Rihanna’s high fountain-style ponytail is a smart way to let curly hair take center stage. The gorgeous jet-black loose curls falling onto her shoulders make her look super stylish besides emphasizing her face structure even more.
Although she is usually one for wearing her hair down at most of the red-carpet occasions, Sandra Bullock loves to tie her hair back into a ponytail once in a while. A neat and tidy pulled-back hairstyle such as this one is bound to evoke elegance and grace.
American actress, model, and activist, Yara Shahidi, has always topped the afro game. Here we see her flouncing her dense and thick naturally curly hair in a frizzed and volumized ponytail at the back. The hair at the front has been further crimped to take the style to a whole new level.
Ponytail. Braid. Ponytail…braided ponytail. If you are one of those women who’s often debating whether to make a ponytail or a braid, then Beyoncé’s got just the right solution for you. Tie your hair into a high ponytail and then braid it into tight plaits. The gleaming highlights in her blonde hair make her ponytail-cum-braid look like a shiny segmented copper pipe.
Girls all over the world dream of having lengthy, straight hair like Taraji P. Henson. And when the actress/ singer and author flaunts her long and silky hair in a high parted ponytail like this, the style is simply to die for. The ponytail stems from a chignon-style puffy bun that stresses the look all the more.
Here we see the same actress rocking a completely different hairstyle. Note how she has braided her low-tied ponytail into a fishtail and sported it on one side at the front in an attention-grabbing style. The deep and wavy side bangs complement this textured ponytail hairstyle for women.
Although this ponytail hairstyle example for women is not particularly new, what makes it different is the way Salma Hayek has streaked the lower half of her hair. So, when she pulls her hair up into a conventional ponytail, the gathered bunch is automatically set apart due to the caramel brown highlights in her deep chestnut hair.
Nina Dobrev’s upward hairdo balances casual and elegant just perfectly. The fluffy ponytail gives her a lively, young and playful look whereas the side-part coupled with short bangs is the ideal way to frame a heart-shaped face profile.
This runway model provides some major ponytail goals with her truly unique hairstyle for women. A lowly-tied loose ponytail coupled with loose waves and chocolate brown lowlights makes a chic hairstyle that despite the messy look, is still not all over the place.
A simple and plain high ponytail like this is quite traditional but Gwyneth Paltrow proves that if you are bold and confident, what’s there to fear? With your poise and self-assurance, you can still manage to set yourself apart from the crowd.
If you love Zendaya Coleman then you must surely love the ponytail hairstyling ideas that she provides every now and then.Here she has secured her long black hair at the back such that the textured locks seem to overflow from a small bun. The crumpled curls add a striking touch to this otherwise plain hairstyle.
Sometimes, a style as simple as tying your hair at the nape of your neck can make you look luxe in ten seconds flat! The key is to get a proper haircut, for instance, pointy side-swept bangs that will bring out the angles in a lovely way.
Beyoncé’s ponytail hairstyle for women is as stylish as a low ponytail could be. Take notes from her hair dye that is honey golden at the roots and gradually darkens into mahogany brown at the tips. The color gradient provides the right mix of class and flamboyance.
Lo Bosworth’s easy and uncomplicated ponytail hairstyle for women can be achieved by slightly curling the tip of the ponytail to form a soft tousled strand. Babylights further enhance the decently mod look. This hairstyle will go well on wedding occasions as well.
This ponytail hairstyle for women sported by the young and popular Zendaya features her single-shaded hazelnut brown hair tied in a really unique and fascinating manner. Although the ponytail itself isn’t particularly unique, what makes it distinct are the rubber bands that she has tied in a crisscross style.
Take notes from Jenna Dewan Tatum on how to look really mod with minimal efforts. Her ponytail hairstyle for women features her brunette hair secured at the back while she has made a soft puff at the front and let out some flyaways for a cool and relaxed look.
Kat Graham’s fans adore the hairstyling ideas that she provides by styling her hair in various ways. Here we see her displaying her super fine hair in a high ponytail that looks captivating due to the silvery streaks that she opted for.
For most of the professional women perhaps the biggest dilemma is wearing the same dull hairstyle every day. If you are one of them, then consider this gracefully chic ponytail hairstyle sported by the charming Anne Hathaway. Two side tendrils to delicately frame the face and a few highlights can totally jazz up your regular office hairstyle.
A prominent balayage, slack waves and a high puff beautifully come together in this eye-catching ponytail hairstyle for women sported by the lovely JoJoFletcher. Parting the ponytail into equal parts and wearing the divided hair on both sides is a good way to bring out the various hues of her hair.
Hollywood stars know to catch every eye from afar. Take a look at Kristen Stewart sporting a rocker ponytail hairstyle. Tying her Havana brown hair in a wraparound style, the actress has roughly combed the hair at the front to create a burrow-like texture for a fancier finish.
Who said that ponytail hairstyles are only for women with medium to long hair? Take notes from Mary Lynn Rajskub who has gone for a pulled-back hairstyle in her bob cut hair. Short bangs and some loose tendrils make her look effortlessly stylish.
Egyptian fashion in all its glory takes center stage with Demi Lovato’s stunning ponytail hairstyle for women. An extremely tight and extremely high ponytail like this is guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go.
Ariana Grande has always been an advocate of sleek and silky high ponytails but here she has gone for a slightly different style. She has skipped running a straightening iron and instead knotted her wavy hair in a highly dramatic manner.
Introduced on the runway not so long ago, the new textured ponytails have surely bombed big time. From singers and actresses to models and artists, we see several celebrities sporting a textured ponytail. For instance, Tracee Ellis Ross who astonished everyone when she stepped out on the award ceremony sporting this stunning ponytail hairstyle.
An average ponytail hairstyle combined with short and blunt eye-skimming, air-separated bangs can make you look really fabulous. The statement is proven by the beautiful Kristen Bell who looks lively and energetic sporting this trouble-free ponytail hairstyle for women.
This bouffant style ponytail hairstyle is good for any woman who’s bold, brave and proud to be herself. Soft streaks at the tips are an impressive way to finish off this audacious ponytail.
Mila Kunis looks like a true diva showing off her super shiny hair in this modern ponytail hairstyle for women. A well-defined center-part coupled with hair clipped back in a neat bunch is an ideal style to sport on both, casual as well as formal events.
Mariah Carey was wearing a black leather jacket at the Nickelodeon’s 2018 Kids’ Choice Awards held at The Forum in Inglewood, USA on March 24, 2018. This matches well with her high caramel ponytail that has soft curls.
Michelle Monaghan wore this messy ponytail with wispy bangs that go past her eyebrows at the Marie Claire Image Makers Awards 2018.
The actress wore a classy and sophisticated look at the 28th Annual American Cinematheque Award Gala last October 21, 2014. He had a slightly messy ponytail that brings out her highlights and lovely makeup.
The high neat ponytail that Michelle Monaghan wore at the “The Path” Season 3 Premiere Screening last December 21, 2017 was a nice complement to her high fashion and gorgeous make-up.
The actress wore a low ponytail hairstyle with highlights that complement her black doily dress at the 22nd Annual Critics’ Choice Awards, December 11, 2016.
During the TV Guide Emmy After Party last August 27, 2006, Stacy showcases a sophisticated look showing off a classy ponytail hairstyle with sleek tendrils neatly placed on the sides.
Stacy Keibler rocks a high ponytail with her long blonde wavy tresses worn during the Pink Party 2010 held on September 25th. She complimented it with round hoop earrings and a sleek tube dress.
The Brazillian model showcased her sleek and tight ponytail during the premiere of ‘Julieta’ at the 69th Festival de Cannes, May 17, 2016. This is complemented by her white outfit and emerald earrings.
Last May 14, 2007, Hayden Panettiere attended the Primetime NBC Network Upfronts – 2007-2008 with a nude dress and a cute ponytail that’s gathered on one side. It was incorporated with side bangs for that chic look.
The actress flashed a sweet smile showcasing her low-tied ponytail that has defined curls on its ends. It was accentuated with hoop earrings that she wore at the NBC TCA Press Tour at Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel on July 22, 2006.
Ashley Tisdale looked charming in a floral dress and her low-tied ponytail with loose tendrils on both sides. This was worn during the “Stranger Things” Season 3 World Premiere last June 28, 2019.
The well-known TV personality looked younger than her age in a high ponytail gathering her full and thick black hair. This was taken when she attended the iHeart Radio Music Awards – Press Room at the Microsoft Theater on March 14, 2019.
Freida Pinto’s smile was contagious with her Jean Paul Gaultier pink dress and simple high ponytail at the LAFCA 34th Annual Los Angeles Film Critics Awards in Los Angeles, January 12, 2009.
Freida Pinto’s simple ponytail with layered bangs compliment her natural beauty, especially paired with a simple black blouse last September 10, 2012, for the Desert Dancer photocall held at Sadler’s Wells, London.
Rachel Bilson confidently slaying a very neat and tidy ponytail hairstyle along with a gorgeous off-shoulder dress that she wore during the 2018 Baby2Baby Gala at the 3Labs on November 10th.
The actress was seen at the 35th Birthday Celebration for Travel and Leisure Magazine in W Hotel on April 19, 2006, with a low-tied ponytail incorporated with thick side tendrils.
The talented singer and songwriter wore a patterned blouse elevated by her neat high ponytail when she arrived for the Silver Clef Awards at the Hilton Hotel in London last June 29, 2012.
Nikki Reed arrived for The Art of Elysium presents John Legend’s HEAVEN last January 6, 2018, with a low-tied ponytail and tousled tendrils hanging down her cheeks.
Actress Mila Kunis was spotted at the LAX airport last August 29, 2011, wearing a casual and relaxed ensemble paired with a tousled ponytail. Simple yet beautiful.
Salma Hayek went for a slick and sophisticated high pony to complement her bright purple dress and confident smile for the World Premiere of “Prometheus” at the Empire Cinema last May 31, 2012.
Paris Hilton exhibited her long two-toned tresses as she walked the runway at the Disney Villains x The Blonds fashion show on September 7, 2018. She styled it in a sleek high ponytail that’s truly eye-catching.
Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton attended the ‘Ugly Dolls’ World Premiere last April 27, 2019, in Los Angeles. Stefani wore a colorful knit sweater to match her casual high ponytail and signature bold lips.
Jennifer Aniston’s blonde locks were arranged into a sleek ponytail with long side bangs at the Los Angeles premiere of her movie “Horrible Bosses 2” on November 20, 2014. She finished the look with gold dangling earrings and a white bodice dress inlaid with floral embellishments.
Alyssa Milano exhibited a pompadour low wavy ponytail that’s elegantly funky and just perfect for the Billboard Music Awards 2013 on May 19, 2013. It was incorporated with green statement earrings and a white floral dress.
The actress looking casual in a blue shirt along with a high ponytail that’s incorporated with a soft puff at the front. This was taken during the “Fahrenheit 11/9” Los Angeles Premiere at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater on September 19, 2018.
Julia Roberts styled her long, blonde tresses with a messy low ponytail and parted bangs for the ‘Money Monster’ photocall on May 12, 2016.
Sandra Bullock was seen on location for “The Proposal” filming in New York last June 06, 2008. Her power suit outfit was paired with a neat and slick highlighted ponytail.
Sophie Turner pulled her blonde tresses back into a sleek high ponytail at the Variety Power of Young Hollywood Event on August 16, 2016.
Last July 20, 2007, Blake Lively’s lovely mustard yellow dress blended well with her sandy blond hair styled in a wavy and messy low ponytail at the CW Summer 2007 TCA Press Tour in Los Angeles.
This high ponytail leavs the loose curls to frame your face and will smooth out the sharpness of the cheekbones while the waves will add some volume to the lower part of the face, balancing it out.View this post on Instagram
Gabrielle Union showed nothing but elegance during the Step Up Inspiration Awards at Beverly Hilton Hotel last May 20, 2016. Her long, dark hair is styled into a low ponytail oozing with sophistication.
Felicity Jones sporting a low ponytail with a thick, side tendrils at the 20th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards 2015.
Gabrielle Union sporting a ponytail with wavy tendrils at the World Premiere of Almost Christmas last November 3, 2016.
Thick and straight black hair arranged into a neat ponytail and then styled into a tight fishtail braid. This one will gather all your hair together and will keep it away from your face during busy work days.
A casual ponytail styled into a classic fishtail to achieve an elegant finish. This hairstyle might be simple but it can be worn not just on normal days but also on formal and corporate events.
A minimalistic gym hairstyle that will keep sassy while working out. The little fishtail braid on the side gives the ponytail an extra sass.
A simple ponytail upgraded into a stylish look by arranging it into a fishtail braid. The strands are then loosened up a bit to create volume and texture.
A simple ponytail with a chunky and short fishtail for added style. You can also ad some tendrils for a trendier finish.
One quirky way to enjoy your Fulani braids is to use some colorful hair extensions. In this hairstyle, long and pink extensions were used to enhance the overall look. The braids are then arranged into a high ponytail to arrive with a playful and fun output.
Cornrow braids arranged into a high ponytail and styled with cuff, beads and other decorative adornments. A playful ponytail works as a great option for active women who are usually busy the whole day.
During the LA premiere of Hercules last July 2014, Barbara Palvin wore a neat and tight ponytail that showcased her perfect face shape and emphasized her facial assets.
25 Types of Ponytails for Women
1. Fishtail Ponytail
- Glamorous and stylish and looks great on blond hair with hi-lite.
- Use a large-barrel curling iron to create waves;
- Weave a messy fishtail braid; and
- This style goes well with a casual or dressy outfit.
2. Dutch Lace Braid Ponytail
- A great look for date night.
- Start with a low ponytail;
- Leave two other strands out of the pony to tie off;
- Pull around to make the bubble look; and
- With another strand of hair, braid hair around the side of the head, tuck under the pony and secure with pins.
3. Spiral Ponytail
- A ravishing, beautiful or cute look.
- Pull hair in from all sides of hairline; twice from left to right, then right to left; and
- Tie ends in a pony, using pins to secure the hair.
4. Mohawk Ponytail
- Easy to create a stunning look to wear with any attire.
- Make a single braid and tie into a lower twisted pony; and
- Braid gives the hair volume.
5. French Braid Ponytail
- Stunning and beautiful on blond hair.
- French braid hair on each side of the head down to the base of neck; and
- Wrap a band around the hair to secure braids to the ponytail that hangs down.
- 6. Double Braided Ponytail
- A glamorous style that looks great on hi-lited hair.
- Divide into two parts, and braid each part, in the form of a headband, down to the base of the neck;
- Wrap hair around the ponytail; and
- Secure with an elastic band and pins.
7. Twisted Ponytail
- It can be worn for casual or formal occasions.
- Twist hair in a French twist and leave some hair out for the ponytail; and
- Secure with pins.
8. Bubble Ponytail
- A popular, classy and elegant look.
- Pull hair back into a high ponytail; and
- Wrap hair with elastic bands in three-inch intervals down the pony.
9. Triple Braid Ponytail
- A great look for layered hair and gives your hair volume that looks amazing.
- Divide hair to make three braids; and
- Attach all three braids together in the back of the hair.
10. High Ponytail
- A stunning and polished look.
- Tease hair at the crown to create a bouffant;
- Pull hair back and up high into a ponytail; and
- Wrap hair around the base to finish it off.
11. Knotted Ponytail
- A polished look to wear to a formal outing.
- Pull hair back and loop over the middle of a pony; and
- Tie a knot and insert pins to hold it.
12. Low Ponytail
- A stunning, classy look.
- Leave a few wispy strands out on each side to frame your face;
- Pull the hair to the back of the hairline to make a pony low at the base of the neck; and
- Secure with a hairband.
13. Messy Ponytail
- A great casual look.
- Wavy or curled hair looks best;
- Good for hair that hasn’t been freshly washed (or use some dry shampoo to absorb the oils), leave some strands out to frame the face; and
- Use hair pins to hold the hair in place. This gives the “wispy hair look.”
14. Sleek Ponytail
- A nice look for any occasion.
- Pull the hair back into a tight knot;
- If the hair is not long enough, wrap extensions around your pony; and
- This can also be worn with bangs, for a different look.
15. Long Side Straight Ponytail
- A glamorous look that is best for long straight hair or hair that is straightened with a curling iron.
- Take all of the hair and twist along one side;
- Pull rest of the hair down to the side and secure with a hairband; and
- Take a small piece of hair and wrap over the hairband and secure it with a hairpin.
16. High Knotted Side Ponytail
- A casual or everyday look.
- Bring all of your hair to one side and pull it up high, near the crown and secure with a hairband.
17. Side Curly Ponytail with Bangs
- An elegant look for a formal affair.
- Make soft curls with a curling iron then pull all of the hair to one side and secure it with a hairband; and
- Style the other side by using a curling iron to make long twisted bangs that hang down on the opposite side.
18. Mermaid Ponytail
- A stylish and easy to do, wavy ponytail.
- Dampen the hair and smooth with a brush or comb;
- Pull back and secure with a hairband right below the ears or at eye level; and
- Use scrunching spray or rub the gel in a pony for a wavy, textured look.
19. Rockstar Ponytail Punk Rocker
- A glamorous, fun look.
- Comb gel through the hair to the roots;
- Put the hair into a high pony and secure it;
- Can wear ponytail smooth or add scrunching spray for a messy, tousled pony; and
- Wear the front of the hair smooth and puffed up.
20. Half Ponytail
- Flowing waterfall of waves.
- Tie up the top half of hair, tug at the crown to give it more volume; and
- Use a curling iron on ends to make cascading waves.
21. Relaxed and Really Low Ponytail
- Need “to get somewhere quick” hair fix.
- Pull hair back and tie long hair low below the neckline; and
- Pull pieces out to frame the face.
22. Poufed Three-Part Ponytail
- Separate hair into three sections – crown, middle and base of the head;
- Take each section and secure with an elastic band; and
- Take a piece of hair and wrap around each band.
23. Sleek Ponytail with a Barrett
- A casual or dressy Look.
- Pull straight hair back to the base of neck; and
- Use a barrette to secure the pony.
24. Unicorn Style Ponytail
- A funky look.
- Dye hair a bright blue color except on the crown;
- Pull hair back to make a high ponytail on the crown of the head; and
- The blue hair is on the ponytail when hanging down.
25. Short Hair Ponytail
- A spiky, fishtail look.
- Pull the hair straight back; and
- Secure with elastic band in the back middle of the head.
How to Get a Ponytail
By definition, the way to get a ponytail is to pull most of the hair on the head, pulled away from your face, and secured somewhere on the back of the head. The only way to achieve this hairstyle is to grow out your hair. It is that easy.
For many women, this takes time and regular trims to encourage new hair growth. Longer hair quickly pulls up into buns, braids, twists, and more. If you don’t have the time to grow your hair out, add extensions or clip-in hair to your head. With the use of bobby pins and extensions, pull your hair up with ease.
Tips for Styling Your Ponytail
With hair of any length, it is possible to style your ponytail in a new way. It doesn’t require a professional appointment to implement some of these styling tips.
- Tilt your head back when pulling up your hair. This pulls the hair up much higher and gives you a high tail. From the side, hair higher on the head elongates your face and draws the eye to your cheekbones.
- Add the illusion of longer hair by bringing your hair up in two hair ties, one that secures the lower layer of hear and one securing the upper tier. It makes your hair look longer even if it is short.
- Pull all of your hair high on your head, tie it, and then tease it with dry shampoo or texturizer. It creates a bedhead look.
- For shorter hair, tie hair at the base of the neck and circle a strand of hair around your hair tie. This makes it look like your hair is being held up with hair and not a rubber band.
- Curl your hair once you have already pulled it into a high pony. It adds dimension and gives you a pulled-together look!
- Pull it up into a classic bun or a messy topknot. This is a classic go-to for many women because it is easy, stylish, and has the potential to be elegant.
Encourage Hair Health Even When You Wear It Up
One of the biggest problems with wearing your hair up on a regular basis is damage to your hair. If you wear it on the same part of your head every single day, it causes damage to your hair. It weakens the roots of your hair, causes rips, tears, and even knots.
In addition, be sure to take your hair out gently when getting the hair tie out. If you put your hair up when it is damp or wet, it pulls your strands and causes damage. Once you establish good hair habits, wear it up whenever you want!