Do you have a big event coming up? Do you want to look and feel special for an event? Traditionally worn for special events and celebrations, the upstyle (also referred to as the updo) gives you an elegant look.
There are limitless combinations available, whether you want to incorporate braids, twists, pins, buns, and more. Achieve this look on your own with hair products or go to a professional for your hair styling. Put any hair length into an updo through the use of the right techniques.
This is our photo gallery featuring upstyle hairstyles for women. Includes celebrities with an upstyle look.
Long and curly hair arranged into this stay-at-home upstyle with curtain bangs.
Long, copper hair with blunt bangs arranged into a classic pinned-up updo. The hairstyle is then secured and embellished with a black headscarf.
Felicity Jones with blunt bangs and tendrils at the "Inferno" Special Screening last October 25, 2016. This look of hers is not the usual neat finish so it creates this new and refreshing aura.
This trendy and messy upstyle was worn by Gabrielle Union during the 47TH NAACP Image Awards 2016.
During the World premiere of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story last December 2016, Felicity Jones slayed with her elegant night dress and her iconic upstyle with curtain bangs.
Gabrielle Union wearing a vintage upstyle with bouffant at the Los Angeles Premiere of The Birth Of A Nation last September 21, 2016.
Felicity Jones looking expensive at the 87th Annual Academy Awards last February 22, 2015. Her off-white night gown with pearl details is paired with a messy upstyle incorporated with straight bangs,
Felicity Jones in a neat and classy upstyle with side-swept bangs. This extra shiny finish was worn last January 11, 2015 at the 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards.
Felicity Jones slaying the 2015 EE British Academy Film Awards with her elegant upstyle incorporated with curtain bangs.
Lena Headey's semi-tousled upstyle and razor-cut, side-swept bangs at the Season 6 Premiere of Game of Thrones last April 10, 2016.
A neatly-done, multi-braid updo consisting of fishtail, three-strand and waterfall braids combined together. This masterpiece can be worn on formal events such as proms, weddings and ceremonies.
Sometimes, curly hair becomes too messy and complicated to deal with especially when you are attending formal events. Securing it with braids is one great way to gather it with style. In this hairstyle, a set of fishtail braids is paired with a curly updo to come up with one, gorgeous look.
In the world of hairstyling, pulling your hair up is considered an updo. The most classic options acknowledged in the world of updos are:
- Buns: Whether casual or highly styled, a bun pulls your hair away from your face and wrapped in a coil on itself. In some cases, secure the style with pins or barrettes.
- Chignons: Look elegant and classic with a beautiful chignon which pins your hair at the nape of your neck or the back of your head. The chignon has limitless variations.
- French Twist: Worn tight or loose, you gather the hair and turn it upwards until it all gathers in your head.
- Beehive: This is when your hairstyle is piled up in a cone shape that looks slightly like a beehive. Most popular in the 1960s, stylists incorporate this look in a modern way.
Advantages of Choosing an Upstyle
Pull your hair up, style it to look beautiful, and feel confident with an upstyle for the day. Women love updos because the look isn’t permanent and is suitable for just one occasion. If you don’t like it, then change it!
Other advantages of choosing an updo for yourself include:
- Learn to create a look for yourself without a visit to the salon
- Shape the style to flatter the form of the face and draw attention to your eyes
- Incorporate hair accessories into your look
- Feel more feminine and beautiful
- No need to change your haircut or style
- Keep your hair out of your face in photos
- Suit every hair texture
- Look good no matter your age
Options for Shorter Hair
Short hair does not eliminate the opportunity for you to get an updo. With careful styling and the addition of clip-on extensions, your look for the evening looks like it is your hair. Frame the face, use extensions, and incorporate barrettes to upgrade your style.
The Full-Updo For a Special Occasion
When you are getting ready for an event, treat yourself with a full updo. The other option is the half up/half down style that lets some hair flow free while other strands stay up. A stylist uses your natural hair texture to your advantage for your look.
If you don’t know where to start, check out some styles online and be sure to consider how your hair frames your face and what it looks like in the back. In fact, updos incorporate other styles like tousled hair, braids, texture, ponytails, and sleek looks.